SNEHA Centres - M/East Ward
SNEHA Centre is an integrated model of 4 themes to address the health of family
focusing on women and children driven by the goal to improve the health of women
and children in vulnerable slum communities in Mumbai.
The SNEHA CENTRE will monitor and evaluate the following primary indicators
Maternal and Newborn Health:
% increase in institutional delivery and uptake of Janani Suraksha Yojana
Sexual Reproductive Health:
% increase in uptake of Family Planning (met need)
Child Health and Nutrition:
Growth monitoring by Child anthropometry
% increase in addressing and consultation on issues
- 6 centres opened in January and February 2012 in Shivaji Nagar( Shastri Nagar,
Sanjay Nagar , Plot No. 29), Govandi and Mandala (Ekta Nagar, Janata Nagar and Dr.
Zakir Husain Nagar) Mankhurd (3 from each )
- Centre has 2 Community organisers , one male and one female who run the SNEHA Centre
- 2 Program Officers, each handling the 3 centres, monitoring the activities and the
- Networking with NGOs and laisioning with Service providers such as MCGM, Police,
ICDS initiated by the centre.
- The target groups are, pregnant women, children under 5, newly married women and
men, women in reproductive age group of 15to 49yrs., youth, men , adolescent girls
and boys(11 to 19 yrs)
- Centre functions at community level through group meetings with various target groups,
events and campaigns, and at individual level through home visits.
- Laisioning activities with service providers:
- Medical and immunization outreach camps in the community by Health
- Mobile clinics of Family Planning Association of India at the door
step once a month for gynaecological problems, general health of women and children,
counseling on Family planning methods usage, distribution of contraceptives (condoms
- Community Based Distribution of contraceptives by Community Organisers
- Anthropometry measurements of children <5 with ICDS
- Counseling services for violence is also initiated
at one of the centres of Govandi with PVWC team. The program officer and 1 community
Organizer address violence cases, provide counseling services, legal help, police
help and refer for further intervention.